Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sarah Baby Keepsake Quilt

Yaya's nightgown is the plaid.


My cousin, Katherine, recently asked me to make a receiving blanket/quilt for her little bun in the oven using our late grandmother's nightgown. I was so ecstatic when she asked me to do this! I love and miss Yaya a lot, and I love that she wanted to include her in her little girls life. It was her way of letting Yaya hug baby Sarah. Melt.

When I got the nightgown in the mail I instantly knew what I wanted to do with it. I headed out to Joann's and bought some flannels that matched. I cut and sewed the blocks, but the quilt just wasn't heading in the direction I wanted. My plan didn't look very good, in other words. Okay, it looked awful! I couldn't bring myself to sew it all together. I moved to a new apartment at this point, and then once I got settled in, I decided I would sew it up...only I couldn't find the blocks! I had the left overs from the night gown, but alas, the others had disappeared! I hurried back to Joann's (I mean I only had 3 weeks before the babe was due), bought the exact same flannels and then some, and took this as a sign to redo my design to be better. Lo and behold, the next day I did find the old blocks, but continued down this new path.

I got the quilt all sewn together, tie quilted it, and embroidered her name at the bottom! All before Sarah was born! In fact, she's still living in comfort in her mama. Katherine was so happy when I gave it to her. I started to tear up a bit. I can't help it. I get emotional easily! 


My sister holding it up.

My hand embroidering. (It's my fave part to do!)

I've decided I really enjoy making quilts for others, so I'm working on another quilt as a surprise gift for another little girl. I'll post a sneak peak soon!

2 comments:

  1. It is lovely and I do love the hand embroidery too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I'm glad you like it :D

      Delete