Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Crochet: Catherine Wheel


Does anyone else have projects that they think are ugly yet the most beautiful thing they've ever seen? Well this is one of those! I have a few crochet projects going on and this is my "no goal project" that I pick up every now and then. I've found that crocheting really helps me to relax and not worry about work stress. The repetitive movements and patterns clear my head. (However, when it becomes too repetitive I check out and get bored.) This one is perfect! It is called the Catherine Wheel, and I actually have two projects going on with it.

Inspiration: 


I saw this picture on Instagram from karsyndupree and just fell in love! I'd never seen a crochet pattern like this, and I knew I had to try it. I flipped through my Reader's Digest Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches and low and behold found it! The Catherine Wheel! **I highly recommend this book if you are an avid knitter or crocheter. It is stocked full of stitches and a lifesaver** However, the book only lists stitch instructions, and when it comes to crocheting, I have to have a stitch chart. So off I searched for one!

Stitch Chart:


I found this at ABC Knitting Patterns. I liked this one the most because it colored each row separately. It really keeps things clear when I'm trying to figure out which row to start with after I've put down the project for a bit.

My Project:


I decided to use yarn from my stash and just go for it! I didn't have anything in mind (which is why it is an awkward length) and started working on the stitch. I fell in love! It's quite easy and repetitive just enough to take my mind off my day. I've had the variegated yarn for a few years now. I wish I'd bought more so that I could make a larger project with it, but it is what it is. The project stays interesting to me because I never know what each row will look like thanks to the colorful yarn! I think this is what adds that ugly yet beautiful factor to it.

Stitches:


I can't wait to see what path my project takes me on! I have to say that this is my favorite crochet stitch now! Do you have a favorite? I'd love to try it out!

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful Catherine stitch! Your varigated yarn is very pretty in this stitch.
    I am only a beginner... and would be lost with your chart!!
    Can't wait to see what you make.
    Susie

    ReplyDelete