Friday, August 3, 2012

Sewing Space

As many of you know, I have quite a small apartment by today's standards. It's an efficiency so it's basically just a big ol' room. I have made a nice little sewing area though. Okay, most of my apartment is my sewing room. I mean I have material stashed everywhere! If there is a shelf or a box, I've got material on/in it. Here's my main sewing area though.
 I have everything I need on my little table. I actually got it at an antique mall in Huntsville! The top is metal (and magnetic!), it has a perfect little drawer, but the legs are bit wobbly. I have to re-position them a bit sometimes. Above I have what I thought was metal grating, but, alas, it turns out it's plastic. I got that at Lowe's. There's a more detailed pic below.
 An above shot. Some of my stash, sewing box, and little helpful drawers.
 My pincushions! I use all three, and they are usually spread out throughout my apartment. The blue cat I made when I was 12. I used a pattern I got out of an American Girl book I think. I made maybe six of them back then. My mom has a yellow one I made for her, which she still uses to this day! The second one is a pincushion I bought from Ayumi's etsy shop. I just love her blog so much! She makes the cutest things, so of course I jumped at the chance to buy it. The third pink flower pincushion is one that I made a few years ago. I made this when I actually decided to begin sewing with a machine. I started out using patterns to make clothing, and the fabric on this cushion is what my very first dress is made out of. I think the cushion is actually stuffed with cotton balls! I didn't have any fiber fill, so I went with the next best thing I guess lol
Here is my beloved sewing machine. It is a Brother CS-6000. I've had it for a few years now, and I love it. Although, I think I need to get some maintenance done on it. It just sounds and feels like it's working harder than it should be.
The grating above my desk. I really love having this. It adds a bit of color to my walls, and I can display what I'm working on. It also keeps me more organized! I basically just put a huge safety pin through a stack and then slide the open end into the holes. It works quite well.
Last, but not least, my most recently bought stash! I got it at a local quilting store. I walked in and they had these beautiful fat quarters in a basket. I'll post soon with which collections they are from. I have an idea, but need to confirm it. I think I'll either start some English Paper Pieced Hexagons or some Granny Squares! I'm quite excited!

I've also decided that on Tuesdays I will have a reoccurring post called 'Tutorial Tuesday'. I will feature a great tutorial I found. It could be on a specific block, a skill, a pattern, etc. I will also try to choose tutorials that I have benefited from and have personal experience with. In other words, I won't post a tutorial I haven't tried myself!

10 comments:

  1. Hi I just saw your blog on the Moda page. I have the same sewing machine only 4 months and was wondering if you quilt with it, does it bunch up your fabric layers etc ? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I've only quilted very small things on it (I'm a hand quilter mostly) but it did bunch up. The first time I just took of the presser foot completely (crazy I know!) and did it like that. I found my walking foot though and don't have the problem anymore. Do you have the walking foot attached when it's bunching?

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Saw your link on Moda, also...love your cozy workspace, it's cheery! I have the same machine, as well, and I've quilted several quilts on it, without any troubles. (unless I forget to lower the feed dogs!) I've only used plain cotton fabrics, and poly batting, so perhaps that's why? My only beef with it is the small space between needle and machine...I'd really like a larger area to free-motion quilt. Saving my pennies for a second machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you stopped by! Question: how do you lower the feed dogs? I'm about to try fmq and realized I had no idea how to lower them and couldn't figure it out. I'm saving for another machine as well! No clue which one though yet lol

      Delete
  3. What a cute little space!! Very efficient :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is rather efficient for my needs. Glad you stopped by :)

      Delete
  4. OOps, I didn't see earlier that you ALREADY linked up to MBS Show Your Stash!! I like your sewing space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiny, but very nice and well, well organized. I like that your place is designated for sewing. Makes me like you right of the bat. I think I will read your blog because you live and breathe sewing. Thanks for the show and tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do live and breathe sewing, and I'm happy to share it with you :) Organization is a new step in my life, and, I have to say, it is so much better than being messy.

      Delete