Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday: Craftsy BOM

Hi all! Today is the first post of my re-occurring Tutorial Tuesday! After thinking about different tutorials I've tried, I decided that the Craftsy Block of the Month would be a great one to start off with. They have a series of how-to videos featuring Amy Gibson of Stitchery Dickory Dock. The videos ranges from about 30 minutes to an hour depending on how difficult the block is. These are really great to watch if you happen to have a little time on your hands! You might learn something new like a little trick on how to cut something.

I actually do not sew up the blocks, but I have learned so many things that I've been able to apply to my current projects. One of which is how to nest your seams (I'm sure you already know how to do this XD). This is super helpful for needing to line up seams. You just iron down the seams of one row in one direction, then the seams of the next row in the opposite direction. When sewing the two rows together, you can now "lock" the seams against each, and, alas! The seams are lined up when you get done sewing :) If this was confusing, just pop on over here, and watch the video for January. She does a great job at showing you how to do this!

See how my seams do not line up? The top row is too far to the right, and the bottom row is too far over to the left.

From above.

If I had nested my seams properly, on the top and bottom row the pink seams would be  all ironed down  to the right. On the middle row, the middle square's seams would be all ironed to the left.
The above are some pics of  blocks from a Kaffe Fasset quilt I started a few months ago. These are pictures of why nesting your seams is sooooo important! I will probably redo the few blocks I have completed so that they don't look this bad.

4 comments:

  1. I am signed up for this Craftsy BOTM , too. So far, I have just printed the blocks and keep in a folder to use 'someday' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea! Oh and I redid the email subscription thing. You should be able to sign up now :)

      Delete
  2. You are too cute! I've been quilting since 1992 and reading your blog reminds me of how my lightbulb went off when I learned a new trick, like you did with nesting your seams. I am doing the free BOM at Craftsy and am all caught up. She does 2 blocks a month. Even though I've been quilting a long time, I've learned some new tricks. You should really start from January and go through the months and do all the blocks. It is the most fun I've had in a long time. I can't wait for the first to come around. And I subscribed to your blog. I think it is so great to see a young girl quilting. Makes me think it's catching on with the younger generation. My daughter, who is 32, is just now quilting, also. Keep on blogging...I'm reading!!! Still don't like having to type those dang words...have to try too many times...they are too hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Thank you! Yes the lightbulb seems to be going off almost everyday now. I love learning new tidbits of information so quilting really was a great way for me to use my brain and still be creative. I think I will start making the blocks on the BOM. (Thank you for suggesting I do it) I have now collected enough material these last few months to at least begin attempting. Thank you so much for subscribing :D Yes it hard to find others in my generation who quilt. I think they still have this preconceived notion in their heads about it (that it's only for grandmothers and boring), when they really just need to try it. I will keep blogging! Oh, and I am headed to turn OFF those words!! So now you can keep reading AND keep commenting LOL

      Delete